Attending the gilded launch of Smirnoff Gold!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Anyone who follows me on INSTAGRAM will be familiar with my love of cocktails so I was really looking forward to attending the official launch of Smirnoff Gold, a new luxury liqueur that has been infused with real edible 23 carat gold leaf!!

The launch event took place in Belfast's iconic Custom House Square, and upon arrival I noticed the well-known sculpture titled ‘Renewal’ in Custom House Square had been given the gold treatment using special chalk, giving it a decadent gold finish! The same could be said of Smirnoff No. 21 premium vodka too which now has been transformed into a perfect luxury liqueur; made with a blend of it's Smirnoff No.21 premium vodka and a hint of natural cinnamon flavouring, infused with real edible 23 carat gold leaf!

Posing with the "Renewal" Sculpture, given the gold treatment for the launch of Smrinoff Gold!
Photograph by Darren Kidd/PressEye.

The sculpture was commissioned by Smirnoff in October 2005 to celebrate the brand’s unique heritage as well as the ongoing regeneration of the city of Belfast. Although recognised for its red and silver design it has been aptly turned gold to represent the new addition to the Smirnoff family!


Daniel Hatton, Marketing Manager for Smirnoff Western Europe says; “We’re really excited to officially launch Smirnoff Gold in Northern Ireland and what better way to celebrate than by giving a well-known piece of the city the gold treatment.

This is our first luxury liqueur infused with real edible gold that is suspended in the bottle. Delicious when consumed straight up or even mixed in a long drink, it brings something new and exciting to the Smirnoff range. We know consumers here like to experiment with flavours that tantalise the taste buds and this new offering does just that. By adding some spice it provides a new way to enjoy Smirnoff." 

At the launch invited guests were treated to lots of delicious nibbles and the opportunity to try Smirnoff Gold for themselves!! I must confess being the kind of girl who loves luxury, I was really interested to try Smirnoff Gold for myself and I really enjoyed the hint of cinnamon, which works well straight up, or mixed with sparkling apple juice to give it a refreshing kick! Also the edible gold leaf remains elegantly suspended within the liquid, never sinking and thus creates an über luxurious and stylish look to the drink!


However my highlight was having the opportunity to learn how to make an "Apple Bite Gold Blend" cocktail for myself! Under the expert eye of the Smirnoff barman, he talked me through the recipe to mix together a perfect Apple Bite Gold! It was so much fun for a cocktail connoisseur such as myself to try my hand at mixology, and if I do say so myself it did taste rather fabulous!!

Measuring out the Smirnoff Gold as I mix together a "Apple Bite Gold Blend" Cocktail!
Photograph by Darren Kidd/PressEye.

For anyone wishing to try it for themselves here's the recipe!
The Method for Smirnoff Apple Bite Gold:
•Take a highball glass and fill it full with cubed ice
•Pour 25ml Smirnoff Gold over the ice
•Pour in the Lemonade
•Pour in the Apple juice which will mix with the Lemonade
•Squeezing a good wedge of lime in
•And finish with a fresh wedge of lime garnish.

I must confess I had a great time at the launch, and I for one will definitely be putting a little gold sparkle in my life with Smirnoff Gold! Available now in all major supermarkets, bars and night clubs in Northern Ireland.



For more information on Smirnoff Gold and some recipe inspiration visit www.smirnoff.com  or twitter @SmirnoffGB_IRE

Drink Responsibly. drinkaware.co.uk for the facts  

The SMIRNOFF® word and associated logos are trademarks. ©Diageo 2014

A massive thank you to Hannah at Smarts Communucate for the invitation to the launch, and to Darren Kidd/PressEye for all official photographs.


You Might Also Like

0 comments