In Conversation: West Coast Cooler FASHIONWEEK Director Cathy Martintalks SS'16 Trends!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016



It may still be freezing, but the sun is shinning and Spring is just around the corner! So with that in mind I've been chatting with West Coast Cooler Belfast FASHIOWEEK Director Cathy Martin ahead of tomorrow's SS'16 press launch, to get her own take on the top trends for SS'16 and which trends she'll be embracing this season!

This season sports an eclectic mix of trends on the international catwalks and Cathy has broken them down into her favourite eight! From dark florals to eye catching sequins, latino ruffles to suble off the shoulder looks, there really is something for everyone!

Sequins, ruffles, and florals are all catching my fashion heart but which trend has caught the eye of Cathy I hear you ask? Well it turns out it's the new take on a wardrobe staple........Denim!!

“Everybody loves a bit of denim but for the last 20 seasons I’ve really hated seeing simple jeans on the catwalk, I find it so boring and a pointless use of such a theatrical platform, so much so that I actually had a no jeans policy in my briefing memos to the stylists; HOWEVER, this season sees a huge rise in the variety of fantastic shapes and silhouettes for denim so I’m really looking forward to seeing denim culottes mixed with flares, bell-bottoms, dungarees and boyfriend jeans as well as high-waisted ‘mom jeans’. We’ll be styling this up with denim shirts and chambray blouses plus denim T-shirts and even denim coloured bandeau tops. It’s not just double denim, it’s 21st century and 21st season style denim!”

So in advance of tomorrow's press launch, here is Cathy's breakdown of the top trends we're all going to be lusting after this season!

1. Blue Jean Babies.

2. Dyed & Truth.

3. Sparkle In Motion.
Another one of Cathy's favourite trends, I can't wait to see how she translates it into her FASHIONWEEK wardrobe!

4. Isn't It Romantic?

5. Bedroom Eyes.

6. Straight From The Shoulder.

I've already snagged myself a stunning monochrome off the shoulder crop top, which I may just wear to the shows in March, and as it turns out Cathy is loving this trend too! "I’ll be reminiscing back to the early YSL gypsy tops and channelling my inner Rose-Lee with all the ruffles and florals… Probably pairing them with ankle boots just to edge it up a bit…"

7. Latin Class.


8. Sweet Emotion.


West Coast Cooler Belfast FASHIONWEEK will be taking place from 10th-13th March 2016, tickets can be purchased via the links on the official website: www.belfastfashionweek.com or alternatively by calling the Belfast Welcome Centre box office on: 028 90246609.


Massive thanks to Cathy Martin at CMPR for taking the time to answer my questions and for usage of her trend boards!



You Might Also Like

0 comments