Why You NEED a Blanket Wrap Cape This AW'14!!

Tuesday, September 09, 2014



There are those rare fashion moments when the entire fashion press are subject to witnessing that perfect fashion moment unfolding in front of them. This happened at the Burberry Prorsum AW14 Catwalk as Christopher Bailey sent his "Army" of models down the runway clad in individually monogrammed blanket style poncho capes.

Everyone died, as in OMG we need this in our lives and it wasn't soon until the "IT" girls of fashion were seen sporting their own specially monogrammed blankets from Burberry! Model of the moment Cara Delevingne has hers, as does Olivia Palermo (who in my humble opinion has worn it best so far!)

Us mere mortals wondered if we could ever hope to own our very own monogrammed version à la Cara and Olivia, and then the news hit that yes a monogrammed version would be available to order in Sept from Burberry! #MajorSwoon!!

Not surprisingly THAT version of the Burberry blanket cape is now sold out within days of it appearing online, but there are many other patterns/colours of this style still available from Burberry starting from £895!

You are now asking yourself, is it worth it?? Really?? For a blanket?? YES!!!!

Let me tell you why you NEED this in your life!! Here in the UK we have cool Autumns followed by downright COLD Winters, and us ladies need an item in our wardrobe that is versatile and will work hard within our existing wardrobes as a practical yet effortlessly stylish way of staying warm! Well the blanket cape will do that for you!

You want to wear an outfit totally impractical for the weather.....well throw on a blanket cape and you're good to go! Easy to throw off when you get to your destination and not as bulky as a winter coat! Imagine a more tailored, outerwear version of the Pashmina we were all obsessed with in the late 90's and you will totally get where I'm coming from and why you need this in your life!

It's still the Autumn and you want to squeeze in those last few opportunities for a little al fresco dining? Well if it starts to turn a little chilly, just throw on your blanket cape and you're still toasty warm (Same goes for some late night cocktails out on the balcony darling!) Hehe!!

You are venturing out for an afternoon or an evening walk, out for a picnic, or a stroll along the beach, you can wrap it round you and keep out the chill whilst not looking totally overdressed, and best of all you avoid having to wear an anorak!! #FashionWin

You're at the cinema and they turn the damn air con, (pet hate of mine) blasting you with cold air!! Problem solved, snuggle into your blanket cape and you're cosy warm! (I've already done this in the past with my pashmina wraps!)

Last but by no means least, lets face it, it's damn stylish! Worn in the right way you can sashay & strut around town with it twirling round your body, elegantly draped from your shoulders! Complete the look with a pair of designer shades in the winter sun and you will definitely look the part!

When you consider the Burberry version is made from lambswool & cashmere, the price, whilst expensive isn't crazy and if you like to invest your money in quality items it's something you will get years of wear from! My advice however is not to go for the now sold out verson, but instead opt for one in the classic Burberry check as it will not seem so much "of the moment" and therefore won't date!

Burberry Check wool and cashmere blanket poncho: £895.

If however you're looking for something more competitively priced Karen Millen have a good alternative! Their version is more of a hybrid of the cape & blanket style, with a fastening at the top and sleeves too! For someone who wants a more structured version this is definitely the one to opt for!


Karen Millen Striped asymmetric cape (CT048): £235

Then I come to the absolute steal of the season!!! Recently I attended the Oasis Fashion "Afternoon Tea" launch of their Peter Ting "Flutter" collection and I got talking to Belfast Donegall Place Manager, Aine. Whilst catching up on all the Oasis news, I told her how obsessed I've been about the Burberry blanket, and Aine replied by saying "have your seen ours yet??" It literally had just hit the Belfast store that morning and as soon as I saw it I was in love! In elegant shades of grey (hehe) it looked just as luxurious as any version I've seen thus far and was super soft to the touch!

Proportion wise it works perfectly on myself, not too long or too short, looks amazing on, and most importantly it doesn't swamp my tiny frame! I tried it on while I was on the store floor and immediately started to strut round run the store(a good sign that I feel great in what I'm wearing!) I knew right then and there I had to have it!!

At this point I realised I hadn't looked at the price tag yet.......expecting it to be around the £100 mark, I nearly died when I saw the price, a total steal at £28!!!!

Oasis Navajo wrap £28.00

Of course it was straight to the cash register and I had it bought before you could say "Must-Have"!!

Now normally at this point I would share a few photos with you all of myself wearing it,  but it's just so fabulous I'm going to make you wait until it makes it's debut as one of my outfits for West Coast Cooler Belfast FASHIONWEEK!

So this season definitely embrace the blanket cape trend! From wearing it casually or dressing it up, cinching it in at the waist with a belt or wearing it free flowing there are so many ways to style it and there is one out there to suit everyone's budget! So enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments