Birthday Outfit Wish List: Stylish Jacquard from Karen Millen!

Sunday, September 08, 2013


So it's only a week until my birthday........and to be honest I have no idea what I shall be getting or what I shall wear to celebrate!!

Therefore I thought I would check out the website of my favourite brand (Karen Millen) to see if anything caught my eye!!! What I adore about Karen Millen is their tailoring, they know how to cut a dress or jacket so it works perfectly for my petite frame! They always produce a core range of styles in the same cuts, but they'll be updated each season through added details, fabrics, etc. keeping the look timeless, but fashion foward at the same time!

I'm always on the lookout for something eye catching and different, pieces with the "X Factor"......and so my heart skipped a beat when I spotted their new jacquard pieces from their Limited Range! Embellishments and luxurious fabrics are key to this season's looks, and the metallic sheen to the jacquard fabric with it's subtle colour plays really brings the fabric to life!

Last season I bought their floral cotton dress (DQ245) which sat perfectly on my petite frame and this seasons jacquard full skirted dress (DR095) looks to similar to it in cut, so I have a feeling it will be fab on me! The question is, do I opt for trend led blue, or go for winter green? (Which perfectly matches my eyes!)

Jacquard full skirted dress (DR095) £175 (in green or blue) from Karen Millen's Limited Collection.

While masculine cuts are a dominant look for AW, for someone as petite as myself unstructured masculine jackets can swamp my frame so I usually opt for cropped jackets! This cute jacquard biker jacket is a great alternative as it still creates a masculine feel, but retains a luxe feel and a fitted cut that works brilliantly on me!

Again the jacket comes in either green and blue, and can be dressed down with a pair of jeans, or would work brilliantly with skinny leather trousers! In my case I think I would pair it with the matching full skirted dress and keep my accessories to a minimum to create a real statement look!

Cute jacquard biker jacket (JR090) £190 (in green or blue)  from Karen Millen's Limited Collection.

Last but certainly not least are the jacquard tailored capri trouser (PR101). Sitting low on the hip, with a tailored finish, they perfectly capture the masculine trend I mentioned earlier and combined with the biker jacket would be a modern alternative to the suit! (However these trousers are only available in blue).

Cute jacquard biker jacket (JR090) £190, Jacquard tailored capri trouser (PR101) £125, Jacquard full skirted dress (DR095) £175 all available from Karen Millen.

With such striking fabric, all of these pieces would be perfect for a glam night of cocktails, or could also be dressed down for a girly lunch. The dress and jacket especially could be styled in so many ways I could imagine I would get lots of wear from both! Question is will I chose to get them as my birthday outfit? All will be revealled this Sunday!

All items currently available from www.karenmillen.com.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Confused American (petite) lawyer here. Here is the source of my confusion (btw, the green with your coloring, the blue with mine ). That looks like a reasonably heavy fabric, and the dress is sleeveless. Won't your arms get cold? If you are planning on wearing the jacket in air conditioned indoors, then won't that be awfully bulky for a top coat when you go out? I'm really not trying to be critical (trust me, I don't need to TRY), I just don't get the huge numbers of sleeveless dresses I see -- especially in the British Isles. Your standard room temperature is actually several degrees lower than ours, although you don't air condition as aggressively as we Southerners do, so that might make a difference. Do you actually see a brocade(ish), short-sleeved dress as wearable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well speaking personally 9/10 of my dresses are all short sleeved, and I wear dresses most of the time, throughout the year, so don't really think of them as not being practical for the UK climate. Most places (once inside) would be warm enough for this type of jacquard dress, (you are right, our air conditioning is v minimal) and if I do start to feel the chill I could easily pop the jacket back on again. If it gets too cold to go outside without a heavy top coat then I wouldn't wear the cropped jacket & instead pair it with a cardigan so as to avoid it being too bulky underneath a top coat.

      But generally our climate is temperate & our winter's mild so I would imagine I would still manage to get lots of wear from the jacquard/brocade(ish) jacket. On those cooler days I could again layer a cardigan/scarf, etc. underneath for added warmth. Cropped jacket's are a staple of my wardrobe, even in winter when I swap lighter fabrics for heavier tweeds, etc.

      But I do see your point, and see how long sleeved dresses are more practical for winter months. For myself this dress and jacket would be wearable everyday for my lifestyle, but I can see how it maybe wouldn't work for everyone.

      Delete